Students impassioned after close loss to Glenbard South

After winning against Glenbard South in football, the Glenbard East basketball fans and players were hungry for more, but were left disappointed but not hopeless after a 2-point loss to the Raiders on January 9th.

It was an intense game with East closely trailing until the fourth quarter when junior Jack Rivas received the tip from senior Deon Cook and tied the game at 36 all. Then, senior DuRon Hall followed up with another 3-point-shot, stirring the crowd up even more. At this point, the players and fans cheered as the game tightened. 

With 33.3 seconds left on the clock, Cook scored a two-pointer. Hall then sunk his final shot with five seconds left in the quarter. However, the student section was angered due to their perception that the refs let the clock run causing frustration for both the player and the student sections. Because of this, the game was called at 0.7 second with a final score of 45-47, Glenbard South.

Despite this loss, Coach Scott Miller stated that he was proud of Hall as he has been a 3-year-starter for the team. Hall has become a superstar on the court this season as he leads his team averaging 22 points per game. Hall recently has scored his 1,000th point of his high school career. “He’s worked really hard for the last four years, not just this year but the last four and it’s nice to see some success,” Miller said.

Looking back on the game, Coach Miller stated that he and his players felt they could have played better and felt like they “gave one away”. Miller said they have  looked at their losses and have a plan for what they can “improve upon.” For example, Miller said the team has since worked on their free throws since that was an area that lead to this loss.

“It didn’t even have to come from me it comes from them,” stated Coach Miller as he feels his team has strong senior leaders that acknowledge the things they need to improve in. Miller and the team hope to win conference and make it to regionals.

As the team works toward these goals, the fans are excited to support them throughout the season.

During halftime the student section showed their spirit by participating in a halftime shootout against students from South, hosted by Rams Committed. From East, juniors Lauren Huber, Gavin Wooldrige, and Connor Huff challenged the South students for the prize of one free item at the concessions stand. 

One person from each team had to make a lay-up, a free throw, or a three pointer and pass the ball to their next teammate. The first team to drill a half court shot would win. Glenbard East’s Gavin Wooldrige successfully sunk that shot, pleasing the East faithful.

At press time, Rams were currently 9-2 in the conference making them tied for first with Glenbard South; however they faced South again on February 7th at South, so their ranking is dependent upon the outcome of this game.