Summer opportunities open for Dupage residents

Courtesy of Dupage PLT website

Courtesy of Dupage PLT website

Are you looking for opportunities over the summer to volunteer and help your community? The Dupage area has many programs for students interested in giving back. 

Gilda Ross, the District 87’s student and community projects coordinator, has many activities that students can join over the summer. 

“All high school-aged students in DuPage County are invited to join Reality Illinois, the Teen Board to the DuPage County Health Dept. to participate in summer weekly service projects as we educate for well-being, empower leaders, and create positive impact. Meetings are held on Tuesdays from 1:30pm-2:30pm at the Glenbard District Office, 596 Crescent Blvd., Glen Ellyn,” said Ross. 

According to Ross, the group will first meet on Tuesday, June 14 at 1:30 at the College of Dupage for a “PhilanthroParty”. They will be working to decrease stress through art and therapy dogs.

To learn more  visit, DuPagePLT.org/Reality or contact Gilda Ross, at [email protected] or at 630-942-7668. Link here to register: https://bit.ly/3vqypOt.

A full year opportunity, starting in July, is the Teen Ambassadors for Mental Health & Substance Use. Ambassadors meet once a month to check in, but also take on other tasks like social media campaigns and panels to improve the state of well-being of fellow students. 

“The Project will engage teen volunteers in District 87 to act as substance use prevention, mental health wellness, and stigma reduction peer support ambassadors within their school communities and host panel discussions in the community to reduce the stigma associated with substance use and mental wellness. We would ideally be looking at two students per school in Dist. 87,” said Ross. 

Applications are due June 17th. The students chosen will attend a 5 day leadership conference at Eastern Illinois University July 17-21, and will be provided with a stipend for their efforts.